I just wanted to write a quick post to wish anyone who might read my blog a very happy 2017!
I still can’t believe 2017 is here (seriously HOW did that happen?) last year went so fast.
So it’s around this time of year that I always get reflective, where am I going? What am I doing? What is the purpose of life? etc etc. I also look back at the previous year and what I have achieved.
In terms of my back I think I have achieved a lot over the past 12 months. I also tried some new things I never thought I could do…
- I got back into running and did my first ever mud run for charity. I also started focusing more on getting strong (partly due to injuring my shoulder muscles by running and having weak back muscles).
- I took up Body Pump a few months ago and it is now my fave ever workout class. I can already notice myself getting stronger and my muscles are becoming more defined.
- I also started spin classes and feel fitter than ever as a result (spin classes are EVIL though).
Yes, I do get back pain. I have days where it really hurts, especially at the bottom of my back. And sometimes I worry, am I overdoing things? But in 2016 I had a shift in my mindset. After injuring my shoulder through running I realised I need to get stronger. I’m not invincible. My muscles are so weak from never ever doing any strengthening exercises that it makes me very vulnerable to injury and worse back pain in the future. This is even more of a risk because I have scoliosis and muscle imbalances already.
So what are my back / fitness goals for 2017?
- Focus on getting STRONG – I will be doing the 30 day plank challenge throughout January. I will also continue to go to Body Pump twice a week and gradually increase the amount of weights I can lift. I am determined to be strong enough to do a push up!! (Still can’t do those!)
- Related to the above, I’m determined to get into Pilates too.
- I really want to do a massive personal challenge of some kind and raise some money for Scoliosis Association while I’m at it (any ideas people? Let me know in the comments!)
- I’m thinking of signing up to a 10K race or half marathon. A half marathon might be a bit much but I like to push myself 😉
A plea to my lovely readers…
In terms of personal goals, 2017 is the year I am going to dedicate to this blog. I plan to add regular content that is (hopefully!) helpful to those who live with scoliosis.
If you read my blog, firstly THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
If there is any content you’d like me to include on this blog, please let me know!
Just comment below or send me a quick email. I love hearing from readers of my blog as it keeps me going, plus sometimes I wonder if anyone even reads it haha 🙂
Also, if you or someone you know has scoliosis and you would like to share your story or write a guest post I would love to feature it on my blog, so please get in touch 🙂
That’s all for now,
Happy New Year!
I had scoliosis surgery in 2010 and blog about my experiences living with scoliosis. My aim is to raise awareness of scoliosis and help and inspire others with the condition.