As it’s valentines week, I thought it was about time for some self-love, and so I wanted to share some of the things I love about my scoliosis.
Now, don’t get me wrong, living with scoliosis can be tough. Scoliosis is a condition that causes the spine to curve sideways, resulting in various physical and emotional challenges.
Many people with scoliosis (myself included) struggle with daily pain, discomfort, mobility, self-image, and confidence issues. However, having scoliosis also has some positive aspects that can help us grow and appreciate life more.
10 things I love about having scoliosis are:
- Scoliosis makes me unique – it allows me to appreciate the uniqueness of my body and how it adapts to different challenges. No two scoliosis curves are the same, which means that my body is one of a kind.
- My scoliosis has enabled me to connect with other people who have scoliosis and share my experiences and support via this blog and my YouTube channel.
- I love to raise awareness and educate others about scoliosis and its impact on physical and mental health.
- Having scoliosis makes me more determined to achieve my goals – such as running a marathon!
- I have discovered hobbies (such as fitness and running) that I don’t think I would have discovered if it weren’t for my scoliosis -it has pushed me to look after my body and make sure I’m as fit, healthy and as strong as I can be.
- I love to inspire and empower others who have scoliosis (or other physical conditions) to live their best lives.
- Scoliosis makes me appreciate my health and my body and what I CAN do. Especially after going through scoliosis surgery and not being able to do simple things whilst recovering. Having scoliosis has made me appreciate and value life more.
- I also love my scoliosis scar and how my fused spine and metal rods make me interesting and different.
- I love how scoliosis teaches me resilience and perseverance. Living with scoliosis is not easy, but it also makes me stronger and more determined. It makes me feel like I can overcome other obstacles and challenges that come my way.
- I now have thighs of steeeeel from all the squatting to pick things up, as I can’t bend my back 😀
What do you love about your scoliosis?
I asked my followers on Instagram what they love about having scoliosis, so I thought I’d share some of the responses below:
Of course, scoliosis is not all sunshine and rainbows, and there are times when I wish I didn’t have it. But I also believe that scoliosis is a part of who I am, and it has shaped me into the person that I am today. I am proud of myself and my scoliosis, and I hope you are too.
What do you love about your scoliosis? Let me know in the comments below!
I had scoliosis surgery in 2010 and blog about my experiences living with scoliosis. My aim is to raise awareness of scoliosis and help and inspire others with the condition.