Happy New Year – Goals for 2019 :)
Firstly, a little late but I just wanted to wish my readers a very happy new year!
This time of year is always a difficult one for many, including myself. I tend to reflect a lot around this time and also worry about what is ahead.
2018 was a difficult year for me in many respects but it was also a very positive one, it was definitely a year of growth.
I achieved so many amazing things I never thought would be possible. Following the breakup of a 13 year relationship at the end of 2018, I got my own flat and lived on my own, became independent and confident doing things on my own.
I put myself outside of my comfort zone and did lots of new things, I joined a run club and took part in over 10 running events, including two half marathons, 10K races, trail runs and a Tough Mudder.
I met lots of new people and made new connections with people who had the same interests and passions as me.
I travelled, with work and with friends to new places such as Holland, Marbella, Barcelona and Paris.
I visited some new places in the UK I had never been to before including Cornwall, Devon, South Wales and Somerset.
I tried some new Park Runs all over the UK, including Wrexham, Chester, Shrewsbury, Telford, Minehead, Congleton and Andover.
I achieved a new Park Run 5K PB – 27 minutes.
I achieved a new 10K PB – 55.40 minutes.
I improved my half marathon speed by 5 minutes in 7 months, achieving a PB of 2.03 minutes.
I climbed several mountains including Tryfan in Wales and Helvellyn in the Lake District. I also walked a section of the South West Coast path in Cornwall.
I became a more confident, outgoing person more able to put myself forward for things that would have once scared me.
It’s so easy to be negative and focus on the things you didn’t achieve or haven’t done, and yes I am so guilty of that.
But now I’ve written it all down I think, wow I did ALOT in 2018 and I’m so proud of myself.
So what are my goals for 2019?
This is simple. To keep going. To be happy.
I love running it really saved me in 2018 and so I want to do more of it. Most of my goals for 2019 are around running and include..
- Complete 50 park runs! I’m now on 40 so this should be achievable. This is actually carried over from last year as I didn’t manage to achieve 50 last year but came close!
- Improve my 5k speed. I’m currently completing 5k at around 27-28 minutes. My PB is 27 minutes so I would love to get sub 27 this year.
- To achieve this, I plan to start interval/hill training regularly
- Complete a half marathon in 2 hours or under
- I want to carry on doing different Park Runs all over the UK and would love to do one abroad
- Complete 1000km in 2019
- I want to do a running event / race abroad
- Achieche a sub 55 minute 10K. My PB is 55:40.
- I also plan to start more regular strength training (at least twice a week) and would like to try regular climbing too for upper body strength
- I want to focus on nutrition and the best foods to eat to help improve my fitness and performance.
- I would love to do another challenge of some kind, hiking /climbing related
- Travel as much as possible
So there you have it, these are my goals for 2019. What are yours? Let me know in the comments below.
I had scoliosis surgery in 2010 and blog about my experiences living with scoliosis. My aim is to raise awareness of scoliosis and help and inspire others with the condition.